Re[2]: [ihc] Magnesium chloride

JMA> Speaking of salt, this brings up another one of my dumb questions. When
JMA> people speak of salt, as in "salting the roads", are they talking about,
JMA> well... salt? As in sodium chloride? Or is "salt" just slang for some other
JMA> de-icing chemical, like the stuff you can buy in bags - magnesium chloride,
JMA> I think. Thanks for any insight on this one. -John A.

Hello John

Magnesium chloride is a salt.  Not table salt but it is salt and it
does promote corrosion.  It is supposed to be more environmentally
friendly than sodium chloride when used to de-ice roads.

Just a few years ago Coloradoans were expected to be able to drive on
snow packed/icy roads with only the help of sand, like they had since
roads were built.  Then suddenly, the roads needed to be salted(mag
chloride). It is in liquid solution and is sprayed on the roads
before the snow arrives.

What a waste of tax dollars.

Ken