Re: [ihc] Venting differentials

on 12/22/03 9:55 PM, John M. Adams at jma@domain.elided wrote:

> Guess I'm behind the curve, as usual... Don't you just use a wire clamp on a
> rubber hose to attach it to the vent, and then run the hose up as high as
> possible, preferably with a loop in it? Am I on the wrong page here?  But
> wait! I have another stupid question: How useful is an aftermarket diff
> cover? Is there that much flex in the housing that a stouter-than-stock
> cover would help? -John A.

Hey, John, if being behind the curve gets you a lucrative contract with the
Yankees, then rejoice in your behind-the-curveness.

The vent that exists on my 44 does not lend itself to having a hose
attached. That's why I'm looking for an easy answer to replacing the
existing vent.

The Skidrow diff cover isn't designed for stiffening the diff housing. It is
designed to resist damage from rocks. It has a couple of design
characteristics incorporated for this purpose.

For one thing, it has a slope that is designed to slide over rocks rather
than just bang up against them. Secondly, the bolts on the bottom of the
cover are recessed so they don't hang up on rocks.

As I suggested, but didn't post, in my previous post, the Skidrow cover on
the rear probably doesn't serve as useful a purpose as the front one unless
you drive a lot in reverse.

However, my own experience has been that I have been much more likely to
slide the rear diff off a rock bending the cover and starting a leak, than I
have damaging the front cover.

I took an 8 hour course from the State of California one time. It was
designed, they said, to make the drivers of state vehicles safer. For over
seven hours the trainer kept saying that he was saving his gem for the end
of the course. A few minutes before the end, we got his gem. He told us that
over half of the damage to state vehicles was caused when the vehicle was
going in reverse. His great piece of wisdom was to never put your vehicle in
a position to have to back up.

Were the 8 hours spent in the training better than working? Nope.

John
John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs