Re: [ihc] towing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allan Ericson" <lowvolt@domain.elided>
To: <Archerzero@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 08:59
Subject: Re: [ihc] towing

Is the half ton frame that much weaker or is his just worn out?  I've been
considering going to 3/4 4x4 on the panel, but if the frame isn't up to the
loads, there's not a whole lot of a point in doing it.

> A stabilizer hitch will flatten out the load in the tow vehicle somewhat,
> and reduce the oscillations. Front shocks make a big difference, as do
> "bigger" shocks, heavier duty. The more dampening, the better.  Tire
> stiffness makes a big difference, and you can really feel a C rated vs a D
> or E rated tire at max pressure. I made the mistake of towing a heavy
> trailer on C rated 15x33x12.5 tires. Huge difference compared to the 10
ply
> I had been using. In another travelall, one broken leaf on each side
turned
> a factory tow package into a roller coaster with only a 1500 lb load. The
> more springs, the better.

L/D hitches are wonderful.  An anti sway bar on the hitch can make a
difference too.  And L/D hitch and sway bar made an '88 3/4 ton conversion
van tow great.   This van is labled 3/4 but it doesn't have really stiff
springs and is really top heavy.   I personally didn't like towing with that
van, but that was just me,  didn't behave badly with the trailer.   The
electric brakes on a trailer make an absolutely night and day difference
too.

-Ryan