Re: [ihc] Robertshaw 'Stats, Anyone?

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>

<snip>
> >At 10:06 PM -0600 12/4/03, Peter Ferris wrote:
> >Lemme see...
> >
> >: ---Robert Shaw is nothing more than the commercial line of
> >: thermostats. If the auto parts store carries Stant, then they
> >: carry Robert Shaw. What's the difference between Stant and
> >: Robert Shaw? Robert Shaw is said to actuate at the desired
>
> What have you been smoking, Pete? Most parts stores carry Stant,
> only a few carry Robert Shaw.

---You didn't forget my name already did you? At first, in your response, it
seemed as if someone played with the quoting, and an extra ">" made it look
as if Pete had said that, but I see that Pete's quoting is a colon ":"
before the message he is replying to. Could be easily overlooked

---FWIW, around here it takes a lot to get any of the "part center clergy"
to do anything further than what is beyond their reach... or the next
store's. If they had a RobertShaw catalog under the counter, chances are
they never did anything more to the counter than wipe it down or empty the
trash can from under it and if the manager isn't there, "oh my... what do I
do if the customer asks for anything other than a pen or piece of paper". I
have come as close to slapping some upside the head as I have reaching
around the counter and snatching a part catalog. FYI, when I walk into the
local AutoZone or Advance, I go straight to an open computer and search for
my own parts. They are displeased with it sometimes, but I have more than
once told them what part I needed, and after they said they didn't have it,
showed them they did* or *_could get it_*, by either looking it up under
another make... or by simply grabbing the catalog and showing them it is in
there and they DO* carry it. They give me a displeased look often, but it is
understood that I am not wasting their time, nor are they wasting mine and
if someoe new wants to go around the block again, I will surely let them
drive out of respect.

<snip>
> >Sooo, you're saying, Stant is the consumer version and Robertshaw is the
> >commercial version - made by the SAME company?
>
> I'd have to see the evidence of that.

---I know you were around when I made the discovery. Should have looked then
cause it seems that now, it may not be so. It seems they are now owned by a
company called Invensys. Sort of like Ryan and I going round and round about
the gold boxes being discontinued... at one time they were (Thank you again
JG)

<snip>
> >But if I can find a Stant
> >that's supposed to work, it will be form, fit & function compatible? I
> >didn't know that (but I ain't too old to learn... <yet!>!).
>
> No, no, no.

---Yes... no no no! Here is a link to a place that may have the thermostat,
if one of the vendors/sponsors can't get you one. You can see from the page
what vehicles the part may fall under. http://www.flowkooler.com/thermos.php
IIRC, the correct part number is 330, but someone will surely tell me if I
am wrong. If I am correct, you can see the difference between the styles
alone between these images
-Robertshaw http://www.flowkooler.com/thermos.php?pid=TS330
-AC-Delco http://www.rockauto.com/ref/ACDelco/Detail.html?131-87.jpg
-Stant http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Stant/Detail.html?13009.jpg

---If the correct part number is 370 for the RobertShaw...
http://www.flowkooler.com/thermos.php?pid=TS370

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)