Re: [ihc] Robertshaw 'Stats, Anyone?

Ladies & Gentlemen of the jury, I present my case:

It went something like...

: >At 10:06 PM -0600 12/4/03, Peter Ferris wrote:
: >Lemme see...
: >
: >: ---Robert Shaw is nothing more than the commercial line of
: >: thermostats. If the auto parts store carries Stant, then they
: >: carry Robert Shaw. What's the difference between Stant and
: >: Robert Shaw? Robert Shaw is said to actuate at the desired
:
: What have you been smoking, Pete? Most parts stores carry
: Stant, only a few carry Robert Shaw.

Who me?! Now John, you know at my age & place in life I can't AFFORD to
smoke anything.  1) I just can't AFFORD to (I've got two kids & a wife, they
get all my money {all the money that doesn't go in the Scout's tank first,
that is! ;-)}!). 2) It might stunt my libido and ruin my svelte figure
<ahem!>. Actually, I was just recapping what T.R.E. said in his message to
me to be sure I understood him correctly (I didn't say necessarily believed!
Sorry T.R.E.!) and for emphasis - since it seemed 180 degrees contrary to
the discussion in the IHC Digest of years past past whenever the topic has
come up. What you (John) replied to was actually his text, re-quoted in my
note. But I know you knew this and are actually testing me for purposes only
known by you in your infinite wisdom! %^}

: >I was lead to believe there was/is a MECHANICAL difference
: between the
: >Robertshaw and 'anything else' (incl. Stant).

Now THOSE are MY words...

: There is a mechanical difference between the two brands. I
: believe that Stant used to make the correct thermostat, but
: dropped it, and now lists a replacement that doesn't shut off
: the bypass opening when it  opens.

There ya go! That's the exact 'problem' -- shutting off the bypass
correctly/completely.

: >Sooo, you're saying, Stant is the consumer version and Robertshaw is
: >the commercial version - made by the SAME company?
:
: I'd have to see the evidence of that.

Sign me up, too!

: >But if I can find a Stant
: >that's supposed to work, it will be form, fit & function
: compatible? I
: >didn't know that (but I ain't too old to learn... <yet!>!).
:
: No, no, no.

Well, I didn't think it sounded right, and maybe he didn't say what he meant
or something.  But as I said, it seems we've had this discussion in years
past.  It's a VERY common question, etc. And you'll note that I wasn't
asking which brand to use or why... Only WHERE they can now be obtained.  I
understand from yourself, Leo and others that The Fleckster (BCB) is
carrying these.

: For a while Auto Zone seemed to be carrying the Robert Shaw
: thermostats but labeling them as their own. I haven't checked lately.

You are correct and so am I! (How rare!).  IIRC, AutoZone carried the
following:
1) A honest to goodness Robertshaw branded 'stat. But no more, from what
I've been told. I was told NO AutoZone carried them now.
2) An apparent clone - probably/possibly mfgd by Robertshaw - that came on a
bubble card.  The card had similar color & writing and PART #. I never knew
who actually made those.  I don't know if AutoZone is still carrying THOSE
or not.. I should've asked.
3) Misc 'other' brands - whether Stant or Acme I dunno.

As long as I've been around things Binder, I've always heard "Use a
Robertshaw, nothing but a Robertshaw will do, for _optimal_ cooling/heating
sytem performance!" I don't mean to sound snooty or condescending - not at
all, but that was always preached to me as GOSPEL. Not a sales pitch nor an
opinion.  I bet I could ask John L. for a spreadsheet on this... %^} I took
it to be a simple Binder Fact. As you can imagine, I was surprised to read
to the contrary yesterday. Now, other brands may "work", but from what I
understand, they won't work AS WELL AS a Robertshaw (or possibly the
aforementioned clone).

: Perhaps the Fleckster has cornered the market. Good for him.

Indeed, that would be a Master Fleckerization if ever there were!  ;-) Now,
lets hope enough of us continue to buy them from him and keep him ordering
and stocking them before THAT source disappears. I saw it on his web page
last night - didn't have time to check his s&h charge. I'll prob order one
from him. Does he have the 'obligatory' Fel-Pro gasket too?  Need to
check...

Thanks to all that e-mailed me on & off Digest. I haven't read the digest
yet this a.m. so pardon me if this has already been sorted out!

Cheers,

--Pete