[ihc] Brakes, rear differential, etc.

Thanks for all the replies about my Scout's funny noises.  Sorry for the
delay in responding, but I've been busy.  (It's my busy time of year at
the post office.)  I'll combine all replies into one to save bandwidth
and a little time.

First, the brakes.  I'm going to get all the brake hoses and calipers
checked, and the wheel bearings.  I'll also have the M/C and booster
checked, and make sure there's no vaccuum leak.  My understanding of the
GM rear calipers is that you CAN use a stock M/C, but need to add a
proportioning valve.  But it's preferable to use an all-disc M/C.  I
called the PO up, but he couldn't remember if he switched in an all-disc
or not.

Now, the rear diff.  Again, the PO was minimal help.  He thinks it could
be a track-loc (which is what I remember) but it might be an open diff.
I guess I'll find out when the mechanic pulls the diff cover off and
checks it out.  If it's shot, I'll be moving to an open differential.
The LS seemed like a good idea for when I'm on half on the road, half on
the dirt/grass/sand shoulder.  But that doesn't happen very much, and
after April hopefully never will.

U-joints and driveline slipjoints: I forgot to ask the PO this, but it
should be obvious.  I think he installed a non-greasable U-joint.  Which
sounds good maintainence wise, but I guess we'll find out for sure when
we look under the truck.  No idea about the slipjoints, though.  Like I
said, I just forgot to ask.  I know about two zerks on the steering (one
at the top of the draglink, the other on the left side of the tie-rod)
which I greased up a month or 2 ago.

As for the neutral safety switch, I'll check that out at my next
transmission service (tentatively scheduled next spring sometime.  12
months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first) since it's not a real
nasty problem, unlike the rear diff or brakes.  Just paying attention
should keep that situation in order.

Dave