Re: [ihc] trac-lok, powr-lok, oh my!

----- Original Message -----
From: "John M. Adams" <jma@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Cc: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 12:06 PM
Subject: RE: [ihc] trac-lok, powr-lok, oh my!

> This topic puts me in mind of a question I've been meaning to ask:
>
> If you only have one locking or limited slip unit for your truck, wouldn't
> it make sense to have it in the front axle, and leave the rear open?
> Especially with a locking diff, it seems like you would only want its
> characteristics to come into play when you need and are using 4-wheel
drive,
> and not under normal/highway driving conditions. Why are locking and
> limiteds most often installed in the rear? Given a choice, I guess I would
> put it in the front. Am I missing something? Thanks,  -J. Adams

    The problem wit a LS in the front is; if you engage the front hubs you
may have a control problem on turns.  This could be really exciting,
traveling on snow in 2wd with the front hubs in waiting to engage 4wd. Those
with lockers front and rear only use them off road or simular situations.
This is my opinion, and others with that setup can probably be more helpful.
    I would like to have an air locker front and a detroit/ No spin rear in
my 1310.
Jim A.