RE: [ihc] trac-lok, powr-lok, oh my!

This topic puts me in mind of a question I've been meaning to ask:

If you only have one locking or limited slip unit for your truck, wouldn't
it make sense to have it in the front axle, and leave the rear open?
Especially with a locking diff, it seems like you would only want its
characteristics to come into play when you need and are using 4-wheel drive,
and not under normal/highway driving conditions. Why are locking and
limiteds most often installed in the rear? Given a choice, I guess I would
put it in the front. Am I missing something? Thanks,  -J. Adams
---