Re: [ihc] To Diesel or not to Diesel

I not only have driven both but have both, heck the only common IH motor I don't have is a 266, anyhow getting back to the point. The SD33T will not have anywhere near the acceleration of the 304, it's kind of like driving the big diesels at work. It will however cruise very nicely on the highway and once you get used to it is a competent rig in town. If you live in the mountains, I'd probably avoid the diesel as it doesn't much like grades. Definitly get rid of the muffler and run at leaast a 2.5" straight pipe, it's not any louder and lots more power. Check out Dieseltalk on the bulletin for more diesel performance stuff. You have to be a stickler with maintance on the diesel, but if you take care of it, it will take care of you. If you live in a cold weather climate be prepared to plug the Scout in every night, below about 10-15 degrees it won't start without being plugged in, and ether is a big no-no on this motor, it makes them blow up, literally. Mileage is great, expect low to mid 20's depending on your gearing, etc. A close 4 speed is by far the best tranny, I've had a wide and a close behind the diesel, and the close wins hands down. The closer ratios really help out performance. 3.73 or 4.09 gears are best for 31-33" tires, 3.54's work good for stock size rubber (29-30"). If you have any more specific questions I'll do my best to answer.

Dave Nuenke

I currently have a Scout with the 304 engine, but I was always thinking
about converting to the NISSAN TD engine. I now have the oppotunity to
get a 1980 Diesel model for a rerasonable price. But I still wanted to
check w/ someone who actually drove both, the Diesel and the gas engine
for comparison. How does the Diesel behave compared to the 304, or the
345?

Any input is appreciated.

Andreas