Re: [ihc] IH Garand rifle?

It is my understanding that most of the rifles coming out of the military
years later were usually a mix of parts as the parts were built to be
interchangable and whenever the Army overhauled them, there was no effort
to keep IH rifles all IH.  Most likely this would have been reassembled
by someone to make it all IH.

Howard
The IH Garand that I bought a couple of years ago is all IH. I have reason to believe, although I can't be certain, that it was not reassembled from IH parts. For one thing, anyone who would screw a used terribly-corroded barrel on an action should be liable for the result. Also, the stock was so cracked that I would assume that it would have been discarded by any reassembler. Garand stocks are a dime a dozen. I chose to repair the cracked stock rather than replace it with a new stock that I already have. The old stock is a very nicely grained piece of walnut. Looks quite nice if you don't look too hard for the repaired cracks.

I say this not to try and point out any error in Howard's post, just to say that there are exceptions, if his statement is pretty much the rule.

Interesting to look at the origin of the parts IH was using. The barrels as an example were made by a wire manufacturing outfit in Alabama, I believe. According to what has been written, IH never did get the making of the parts down, and therefore bought parts from companies that could made them to army specs. IH was really an assembler of parts for the most part. I THINK Springfield made the actions for them. If anyone wants to know for sure, I could look it up. Or, we could ask Howard.

John

--
John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs