Re: [ihc] IH Garand rifle?

John was correct in his statement that the IH Garands were built in the
1950's.  IH built none during WWII.  It was during the Cold War years
that the DOD decided that rifle manufacturing should not be concentrated
on the East Coast as it was in case the Russians dropped the bomb.  They
looked for manufacturers in other parts of the country  and  IH built
them in the refrigeration plant in Evansville, IN for about 2 years until
that plant was sold to Whirlpool around 1955.  I don't know what happened
to the contract after that.

It is my understanding that most of the rifles coming out of the military
years later were usually a mix of parts as the parts were built to be
interchangable and whenever the Army overhauled them, there was no effort
to keep IH rifles all IH.  Most likely this would have been reassembled
by someone to make it all IH.

Howard