Re: [ihc] More Lube Questions...

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
To: "John M. Adams" <jma@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: [ihc] More Lube Questions...

> At 9:26 PM -0700 11/10/03, John M. Adams wrote:
> >Sorry to keep beating on this one, but I have more lubrication questions:
> >
> >1. I'm poking around on the internet, looking to get an idea of what my
> >new Mobil-1 supply is going to cost me, and all I can find is websites

snip -----

. I threatened him with what I was going to
> do if the knuckles failed, but as far as I know they are still fine
> 31 years later. The dealer is gone, but the grease is still there.<g>
>
> I would pack them with good quality wheel bearing grease. Now that
> opinion should evoke some discussion here.
>
> John

If my information is correct, Mobil 1 is the oil used in all the new
Mercedes cars.  I have read information on the MB Diesel list that states a
92% reduction in wear over the dino. oil.  And that it is a waste of money
to mix fully synthetic with not synthetic, ( dino oil).  One of the
qualities of fully synthetic is, the control or uniformity of the molecule
size verses the average size of the dino oil.  There is also the adherence
quality of M 1, which is extremely valuable at startup when the oil has
drained from the parts. Mercedes recommends 8,000 miles between oil changes
for normal driving.  Dr. Marshall Booth claims being able to start a diesel
at 10 degrees F. lower than with dino oil.

I received some of my information from Motorcycle Consumer News, (MCN).
They did testing with a separate group of oil annalists, and the tests as
John stated showed a very close rating between the top four.  Mobil 1,
Amsoil, Redline, and the other I think was a specialized motorcycle oil.

In defense of the non synthetic, (dino) oil, The current hydrocracking
refining process does a high quality job.  If you change oil at regular
intervals, it is fine.  Most of the long haul and equipment people use
either Delo 400 or other brand equivalent and many have put on a million
miles (+ or - )  before overhaul.  They also do not have as many cold
startups.

When I changed the 392 to M1 15 /50,  I reduced oil consumption from about
800 miles per quart to about 1,000 miles per quart.  The 300D MB 400 m.p.q.
to 600 m.p.q., it also has a rear main oil leak.  Currently, I change oil
(always includes filter) in about November, and March.

I was told or read somewhere, that you could mix the oil and grease in the
steering knuckles.  So I did.  Synthetic grease with M1 gear lube, and so
far no noticeable wear on the upper bushing.

Question?  In the 205 t.c. and t36 trans. what is the consensus as to the
best oil.  I know that it was mentioned, but I was to quick with the delete
button.

For you that remember this my [tax token] worth Cheers Jim A.