RE: [ihc] axles and drop-centre wheels

## >> Think back, how did "hard surfacing" come up.  The word
## >> didn't fall out
## >> of the sky.  Greg was talking about hard surfacing something.  Care to
## >> guess what? I'll even give you a hint, it wasn't brake drums.  If you
## >> guess correctly or take the time to look up the post, you
## >> will know why
## >> the material that backing plates are made of is relevant.  Is it too
## >> much to assume that if you don't understand the conversation you are
## >> involved in you would go back and look up what you missed.  Here, I'll
## >> look it up for you just so you will stop:

Ed, i know what *he* said, and i know what *I* said.  i've been following
this pretty bloody close, trying to understand why he said what he said in
response to my question.  Greg was talking about hardfacing the alignment
lugs.  i wanted to know about hardfacing the inner surface of the drums, and
all i got for a response was "Cannot be done to drums. Those backing plates
are steel, not cast iron !!".  i don't see that as any kind of an
explanation of anything.  the rest of the conversation i understood quite
well.  that particular answer i found extremely unsatisfying.

the answer i got from Jim Aos, however, answered the question perfectly with
NO references to backing plates, with all the information i wanted.  which
is exactly the kind of answer i was looking for.

## >> Question asked and answered, badgering the witness.

i do not agree, and i am not the only one, i'm just the most vocal.

yes, i understand that Greg was trying to say that the only reason the
alignment lugs can be hardfaced is because they're made of steel, and the
drums can't be hardfaced because they're made of cast iron.  not everybody
knows that, and it isn't immediately obvious, at least to me, that this is
what he was trying to say with that very short and terse statement.  hence
the question of relevance.  after Jim Aos posted, *that* made it clear what
Greg's statement was supposed to mean.  untill Jim posted an explanation of
the drums (again, with not even ONE reference to backing plates), Greg's
answer was simply useless to me (and still is), and i'll bet to a number of
other people, too.

seems to me it would have been a very simple thing to have just said "the
drums are made of cast iron and can't be welded on).  after the discussion
of Mr. Hofstetter and others' experiences with welding on cast iron, that
would probably have sufficed.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde