From: John Hofstetter [mailto:hofs@domain.elided]
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 1:26 PM
To: Ed Sohm; 'ihc-digest'
Subject: RE: [ihc] Intake manifolds

At 11:40 AM -0600 11/4/03, Ed Sohm wrote:
>I'm so darn scared of pinging, probably unreasonably so, that I
hesitate
>to advance any more.  Do you know how quiet for motor noise and loud
for
>wind noise a Travelette can be?
>
>I'll try some more advance.  I may just dial it way up so I am sure
what
>a ping sounds like and then come back down.

Ed,

You probably already know this, but the pinging is a function of a
whole lot of factors. Elevation is one of these factors.

When Steve S. talked about running his engine on premium, he wouldn't
have to use premium if he lived at 7000 feet.

I have the variable timing control on my Terra and in the CA Central
Valley, I have to run the engine at about 0 degrees advance. I run it
at about 13 degrees early above 3000 feet, and here at home at 2000
feet, I run it at about 6 degrees early.

And, my Terra is a pinger. Probably the worst we've ever talked about
on the digest. EFI didn't change that, Mallory ignition didn't change
that, but going with the Autolite 85 plugs and the Magnacor plug
wires seemed to help the pinging and a number of other ignition
problems that I was having, the most noticeable of which was the
kicking back against the starter when trying to start the engine.

Joel B. told me it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that
I was getting cross firing, but he was wrong, in this case it did
take a rocket scientist. <g>

John Hofstetter