Re: [ihc] axles and drop-centre wheels

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Sohm" <idaemes@domain.elided>
To: "'Mac @ TRIAD'" <mac@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 12:04
Subject: RE: [ihc] axles and drop-centre wheels

> what does the backing plate have to do with any of this, though?  that
> question hasn't been addressed yet.  what is the relevance of the
> backing
> plate material to welding on the brake drum?  is there any connection?
>

> Mac,
>
> Think back, how did "hard surfacing" come up.  The word didn't fall out
> of the sky.  Greg was talking about hard surfacing something.  Care to
> guess what? I'll even give you a hint, it wasn't brake drums.  If you
> guess correctly or take the time to look up the post, you will know why
> the material that backing plates are made of is relevant.  Is it too
> much to assume that if you don't understand the conversation you are
> involved in you would go back and look up what you missed.  Here, I'll
> look it up for you just so you will stop:
>
> > >did i miss something?  what does hard facing the inside surface of
> worn
> drums
> > >where the shoes contact them have to do with the backing plates?  i
> just
> > >wanted to know if i could build up the inside of a drum with a welder
> and
> > >then turn it back down to the right diameter on a lathe.  how does
> that
> have
> > >anything to do with what the backing plates are made of?
> > >
> > >--Mac
> >
> > Evidently. I had mentioned welding and hardfacing on the shoe
> alignment
> > lugs on the backing plates.
> >
> > You asked whether something similar could be done to drums.
> >
> > I explained why not.
> >
> > Greg
> >

> Question asked and answered, badgering the witness.

Ed.  I'm pretty sure mac looked at that, and I *KNOW* I looked at that.  And
I *STILL* have absolutely no clue what that has to do with doing the drum
since the drum won't be on the backing plate at the time.  Let me guess, you
can't cryo treat the drums due to the backing plates too?

And honestly, I didn't expect you to be someone to just assume we would be
too lazy to look at that.

I still cannot see what hardfacing the drum has to do with the backing plate
other than the fact that it'll be close to it when installed.

BTW, posting stuff we both already read and didn't understand the first time
isn't answering the question, it's stating the thing we had the question
about over again and then being insulting in the process.

-Ryan