Re: [ihc] axles and drop-centre wheels

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mac @ TRIAD" <mac@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>; "Greg Hermann"
<bearbvd@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 6:20 AM
Subject: RE: [ihc] axles and drop-centre wheels

> ## >> > Evidently. I had mentioned welding and hardfacing on the
> ## >> shoe alignment
> ## >> > lugs on the backing plates.
> ## >> >
> ## >> > You asked whether something similar could be done to drums.
> ## >> >
> ## >> > I explained why not.
> ## >> >
> ## >> > Greg
> ## >> >
> ## >>
> ## >> I must admit, you've lost me on this one too... what do the
> ## >> backing plates
> ## >> have to do with hardfacing the drums?
> ## >>
> ## >> -Ryan
>
> well Ryan, apparently, saying "Cannot be done to drums. Those backing
plates
> are steel, not cast iron !!" constitutes "explaining why not".  i don't
see
> how what the backing plates are made of has anything to do with the drums
> themselves, but maybe i'm just not seeing it.  i guess taking the drums
off
> and hardfacing the inside surface and turning them back to the correct
> measurements on a lathe somehow is affected by the backing plates?  i
don't
> see a connection, but maybe that single statement has every possible bit
of
> relevant information in it and neither of us recognizes it.
>
> does anybody else know why the drums cannot be resurfaced inside with
> hardfacing, or how the backing plates affect this?

    I think that the drums are made of a nodular cast iron.  That means that
it will bend some without breaking.  The cooling rate has a lot to do with
the different types of cast iron, along with carbon and other alloying
elements,  ( I do not know the specifics).  When you weld cast iron with
cast iron rod you should preheat to about 1,000 degrees (a dull red on a
sunny day) then slow cool it.  IIRC that should take about 2-4 hrs. I
believe that if you tried to weld the drums that you would have an
unpredictable, brittle mess.  I would trust my welding a tie rod, steering,
or pitman arm, before a brake drum.
     I have four 17" drop center split rims that came on my 53 F250, and I
would trust them much more that a welded brake drum.  I never had one come
apart but have heard some horror stories about them that did.  Dismemberment
etc. They were easy to NOT get seated in the groove and a little difficult
to see if they were properly seated.  If properly assembled they were ok.
But a mistake could be unforgiveable. Not for a novice.
    Cheers Jim A.
Greg seems to think that