RE: [ihc] axles and drop-centre wheels

## >>     I think that the drums are made of a nodular cast iron.
## >> That means that
## >> it will bend some without breaking.  The cooling rate has a
## >> lot to do with
## >> the different types of cast iron, along with carbon and other alloying
## >> elements,  ( I do not know the specifics).  When you weld
## >> cast iron with
## >> cast iron rod you should preheat to about 1,000 degrees (a
## >> dull red on a
## >> sunny day) then slow cool it.  IIRC that should take about 2-4 hrs. I
## >> believe that if you tried to weld the drums that you would have an
## >> unpredictable, brittle mess.  I would trust my welding a tie
## >> rod, steering,
## >> or pitman arm, before a brake drum.

thank you, Jim.  that's exactly the information i was looking for.  *now* i
see why it cannot be done.  so are all brake drums made out of that kind of
iron, or are any of them made of any kind of steel?

what does the backing plate have to do with any of this, though?  that
question hasn't been addressed yet.  what is the relevance of the backing
plate material to welding on the brake drum?  is there any connection?

## >>      I have four 17" drop center split rims that came on my
## >> 53 F250, and I
## >> would trust them much more that a welded brake drum.  I never
## >> had one come
## >> apart but have heard some horror stories about them that did.
## >>  Dismemberment
## >> etc. They were easy to NOT get seated in the groove and a
## >> little difficult
## >> to see if they were properly seated.  If properly assembled
## >> they were ok.
## >> But a mistake could be unforgiveable. Not for a novice.
## >>     Cheers Jim A.

good heavens.  and you keep these things?  you said they're drop centre...
with the rim being two piece, are they tubed tires?  i can't imagine a
two-piece rim like that being able to take a tubeless tire, but since i've
never dealt with them personally, i don't know.  do you actually use these
two piece rims, or do you just keep them for posterity?  i've heard some of
those horror stories too, but never connected the stories with the rims
we're talking about here.  mainly 'cause i've never dealt with them in
person, probably.

i'm no so-green-he-needs-mowing novice, but i don't think i'd want to deal
with those two-piece wheels.  no thank you.  if it's all the same to you, i
think i'll just keep my regular locking-ring split rims.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi