RE: [ihc] axles and drop-centre wheels

## >> > Evidently. I had mentioned welding and hardfacing on the
## >> shoe alignment
## >> > lugs on the backing plates.
## >> >
## >> > You asked whether something similar could be done to drums.
## >> >
## >> > I explained why not.
## >> >
## >> > Greg
## >> >
## >>
## >> I must admit, you've lost me on this one too... what do the
## >> backing plates
## >> have to do with hardfacing the drums?
## >>
## >> -Ryan

well Ryan, apparently, saying "Cannot be done to drums. Those backing plates
are steel, not cast iron !!" constitutes "explaining why not".  i don't see
how what the backing plates are made of has anything to do with the drums
themselves, but maybe i'm just not seeing it.  i guess taking the drums off
and hardfacing the inside surface and turning them back to the correct
measurements on a lathe somehow is affected by the backing plates?  i don't
see a connection, but maybe that single statement has every possible bit of
relevant information in it and neither of us recognizes it.

does anybody else know why the drums cannot be resurfaced inside with
hardfacing, or how the backing plates affect this?  Greg seems to think that
what he said is explanation enough, so i'd like to hear from somebody who
actually knows what they're talking about, please.  preferably in a level of
detail that doesn't stop at a seemingly irrelevant statement about what
backing plates are made of.  i don't know if such a thing can be done to
drums or not.  but regardless of whether or not it's possible, i'd really
like a detailed explanation of why it can or can't be done.

thank you, one and all.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde