Re: [ihc] panel truck update

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Shaw, II" <josephshaw@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>; "ihc-digest" <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 08:21
Subject: Re: [ihc] panel truck update

> I don't recall whether this one is 2 wd or 4 wd.  If 4 wd, t-case is in
> neutral?  If 2 wd, not sure what you are saying-if you have the driveshaft
> off...

2wd, I'll touch on the reason for the driveshaft coming off in a second.

> Wouldn't that mean the tranny is turning, the speedo may be registering,
but
> there is nothing to move the vehicle???

yes.  I'm not trying to move the vehicle.

> I think you were convinced there was something wrong to start with, so
this
> likely isn't it, but did you even try to move it before removing the drive
> shaft?
>
> Thanks-good luck!
>
> Michael

I removed the drive shaft because pretty much regardless of shifter
position, when I tried to start the truck, it'd try to move.  It's really
hard to keep an engine running that hasn't run in a while when you're
holding the brake to keep it from moving while tapping the gas, with the
torque converter preventing the engine from revving much at all.  So I
removed the driveshaft to take the moving out of the equation... made it
much easier to get it actually started.  The truck isn't going to be moving
for a little bit, and when it does I guess it'll have to be pulled.  Now...
this would make it a good time to do a 4x4 conversion too....  anyways, if
it was 4wd, I could have just put the t-case in nuetral and went from there.

BTW, some yahoo had fun with the rear axle, he cut the parking brake stuff
off and did something with the brake lines... now the lines only touch the
brake drum backing plates in the rear without touching a single other piece
of the axle with the brake hose suspended down holding the lines up in a
sense.

1st second and third gears *appear* to work, but there is an rpm difference
between them at idle... seems odd to me... I would think the rpms of the
engine would be higher in 1st, due to the lower gear ratio.  And it was by
no means a subtle rpm change.

I'm thinking that the bands that activate for "drive" might be stuck
engaged.  So when I shift to second there is a difference in gear ratios for
that drop, and another difference for first.   This also means they
counteract for reverse, leading to the output stopping.  That or simply the
forward band is stuck and it alternates between the gear ratios for 1,2, and
D.

This is going to take a little bit to get back on the road, I'm thinking it
might be a good idea to go with a complete new front clip rather than try to
fix the one I have...

-Ryan