RE: [ihc] RA-15 / RA-20

At 10:16 PM 11/2/03, Mac @ TRIAD wrote:

>no no.  i meant on the rear.  for the front, i can see a few advantages of
>the D70.  but on the rear?  why would somebody option the smaller D70 over
>an IH axle?  that just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

More gear choices. More locker/posi choices.

>## >> Ask about one of my pet projects !! Grafting knuckle ends
>## >> (they attach to
>## >> the axle tubes with things that look like pipe flanges) from
>## >> an FA57 to a
>## >> Dana _80_ housing !!! Teeheheheeee !!
>
>i've seen that flanged knuckle fitting.  all the IH front axles have that.
>makes changing the knuckles very very easy.  how much larger is a D80 than
>the RA15 or RA20?  is it really that much stronger or tougher or whatever?
>or are there other advantages to the D80 that i'm not seeing?

The IH BUILT front axles have that. The gears in an 80 are about the same
size as in an RA15--but the bearings, housing, gears, and axle tubes are
WAY heavier/stronger. Plus, ratio selection, locker selection, and parts
availability.

>## >> This one kind of got back burnered when I discovered Raba's model 004
>## >> steerable drive axle--12" reverse rotation (high pinion) ring
>## >> and pinion,
>## >> IIRC 1-5/8" high spline count axles, open knuckles, CV
>## >> (double cardan type)
>## >> steering joints, 15" disc brakes, 10 hole Budd (big truck) lug pattern
>## >> hubs, and an 8K GAWR !!!!!
>
>ooh, now that sounds like an axle worth having.

My thought on it exactly. WAY big and wide for a light line, but--for the
motorhome !! :-)

  almost sounds like the
>axles on the front of a military HEMTT or the newer 5-tons.  except those
>are top-loading worm gear axles with drum airbrakes.

Nope, the Raba units are NOT worm drives. Their somewhat heavier 006 unit
can be had with air brakes, though. They also do much heavier units--18K
through 20+K GAWR--with planetary hubs, etc. AND air operated dif-loks. All
marketed by M-H in the USA.

Greg