RE: [ihc] RA-15 / RA-20

## >> Look for the grease zerk fitting on the end of each pin !!!
## >> (The ones with
## >> rubber bushings do NOT have zerks !!) :-)

ah ha.  now i know what to look for.  thank you.

## >> Well, for one thing the IH FA57 steerable drive axle was
## >> utterly without
## >> inner axle oil seals. Consequently, the d*mn knuckles were
## >> ALWAYS dripping
## >> gear oil !!! For another--you could put a Powr-Lok in the 70,
## >> only option
## >> for the FA-57 was a No-Spin. Yet another--the FA-57 used
## >> 1-1/2" 17 spline
## >> inner axles--while the 70 F's used 1-1/2" 35 spline
## >> inners--which are a LOT
## >> stronger.

no no.  i meant on the rear.  for the front, i can see a few advantages of
the D70.  but on the rear?  why would somebody option the smaller D70 over
an IH axle?  that just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

## >> Ask about one of my pet projects !! Grafting knuckle ends
## >> (they attach to
## >> the axle tubes with things that look like pipe flanges) from
## >> an FA57 to a
## >> Dana _80_ housing !!! Teeheheheeee !!

i've seen that flanged knuckle fitting.  all the IH front axles have that.
makes changing the knuckles very very easy.  how much larger is a D80 than
the RA15 or RA20?  is it really that much stronger or tougher or whatever?
or are there other advantages to the D80 that i'm not seeing?

## >> This one kind of got back burnered when I discovered Raba's model 004
## >> steerable drive axle--12" reverse rotation (high pinion) ring
## >> and pinion,
## >> IIRC 1-5/8" high spline count axles, open knuckles, CV
## >> (double cardan type)
## >> steering joints, 15" disc brakes, 10 hole Budd (big truck) lug pattern
## >> hubs, and an 8K GAWR !!!!!

ooh, now that sounds like an axle worth having.  almost sounds like the
axles on the front of a military HEMTT or the newer 5-tons.  except those
are top-loading worm gear axles with drum airbrakes.  i dunno any of the
actual specs of them, but they'd sure go well under my TravelAll.  +)

## >> Only thing lacking on this Raba unit, to date, is a factory
## >> dif-lok option,
## >> but found a guy in Oz (McNamara ???_ ) who figured he could make one.

that'd be nice too.  i much prefer a hard locker to a regular limited slip.

## >> OK. But, the military's WEIRD !! :-)

no arguments here.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde