RE: [ihc] RA-15 / RA-20

At 7:53 PM 11/2/03, Mac @ TRIAD wrote:
>## >> BIG difference between a 1200 4x4 and a 1300 4x4  is the
>## >> steel and bronze
>## >> spring bushings all around on the 1300 vs. the rubber stuff
>## >> on a 1200. BTW,
>## >> the 1300 2x4's had rubber spring bushings all around. ALL
>## >> 1500's , both 2x4
>## >> and 4x4, both heavy and "light" (light being the equivalent
>## >> of a latter day
>## >> 1400 or 140) had steel on bronze bushings.
>
>is there a way to tell that without taking the spring hangers apart?  i
>mean, to tell if they're rubber or steel and bronze, just by looking from
>the outside?

Look for the grease zerk fitting on the end of each pin !!! (The ones with
rubber bushings do NOT have zerks !!) :-)

>## >> BIG difference between a 1300 and a 1500 4x4 is the depth of the frame
>## >> rails and the rear springs and mounting for them. Front ends
>## >> 1300 vs. 1500
>## >> are pretty much the same EXCEPT for the hubs, brakes and wheels and
>## >> tires--and likely the thickness of the material in the frame
>## >> rails. 1300
>## >> 4x4's , even pre-'69, came with 12" front brakes, the 1500's have 14".
>## >> 1500's have the 5 hole wheels and hubs. The 70F front end was even an
>## >> option in the 1600 4x4's (as an FA58), although in this
>## >> application it was
>## >> noticeably WIDER than the 1300/1500 ones.
>
>my question would be why would someone want a D70 instead of the IH axle?

Well, for one thing the IH FA57 steerable drive axle was utterly without
inner axle oil seals. Consequently, the d*mn knuckles were ALWAYS dripping
gear oil !!! For another--you could put a Powr-Lok in the 70, only option
for the FA-57 was a No-Spin. Yet another--the FA-57 used 1-1/2" 17 spline
inner axles--while the 70 F's used 1-1/2" 35 spline inners--which are a LOT
stronger.

Ask about one of my pet projects !! Grafting knuckle ends (they attach to
the axle tubes with things that look like pipe flanges) from an FA57 to a
Dana _80_ housing !!! Teeheheheeee !!

This one kind of got back burnered when I discovered Raba's model 004
steerable drive axle--12" reverse rotation (high pinion) ring and pinion,
IIRC 1-5/8" high spline count axles, open knuckles, CV (double cardan type)
steering joints, 15" disc brakes, 10 hole Budd (big truck) lug pattern
hubs, and an 8K GAWR !!!!!

Only thing lacking on this Raba unit, to date, is a factory dif-lok option,
but found a guy in Oz (McNamara ???_ ) who figured he could make one.

>## >> Well--if the five hole hubs are what distinguish an RA20 from
>## >> an RA15, I
>## >> think it's pretty unlikely! Sure as heck have never seen a
>## >> 1300 with 5 on 8
>## >> lug pattern !!
>
>trucks produced for the military and/or government in 130/1300/1310 and up
>were often five on eight.  the Crismon book shows at least one of these.
>Page 370 of the Crismon book shows a 1964 C1300 brush fire truck with five
>on eight.  i've seen others, but right offhand i can't find the pictures.
>here on post, most military trucks smaller than a deuce and a half, as well
>as most of the trailers, are either the common eight lug found on the
>HMMWVs, or the five on eight.  nearly all of the generator and missile
>trailers are five on eight.  there was a smaller WWII Dodge ambulance on
>display in front of one of the headquarters buildings with five on eight,
>but it's gone now.

OK. But, the military's WEIRD !! :-)

Greg