RE: [ihc] RA-15 / RA-20

## >> Never seen an RA 20 on a 130/1300/1310. Only on a 140/light 1500.
## >>
## >> Greg

the PDF file that Jim Grammer pointed out from Allan Weidenheimer's website
indicates this to be true.  it's apparently a partial scan of CT-402, page
6-5, Revision 3, December, 1971.  this document indicates that the RA20 was
standard for the 1510, and the RA184 and RA25 were optional for that model.
the RA15 was standard for the 1310, with the Dana 70 optional.  i wish i
could find a document like this for 1960 and 1966.  because the RA25 appears
to be optional for the 1500, *and* my axle came from a 1500, *and* it's
bigger than the RA15 it replaced, i tend to suspect that what i have might
be an RA25, but i really don't know for sure.  yet.

but for earlier years, this doesn't seem to hold true.  Allan E's 1200C and
my B122 both have/had factory RA15s.  i don't know why Allan's has an RA15,
but i know why mine had one.  the Railroad ordered it that way specifically.
probably to support the weight of the track guides and service gear it
carried.

with everything i've been seeing and reading recently, it makes me doubt my
own eyes.  i *KNOW* those are 16" wheels on my truck.  i know it.  when i
bought new tires for the RA15, i bought 16" bias ply tires.  i've never
bought tires for the new axle.  in fact, i've never had the inner wheels off
the drums (i wasn't strong enough to pry them off).  and now i'm seeing
pictures of trucks with wheels exactly like mine in Crismons and it says
they're 17.5" or 18" or larger for some of them.  so now i'm starting to
doubt my own sanity.  i'm going to look for closeup pictures of the tires
and see if i can read the measurements, maybe if i can read 'em it will help
me to retain a grip on my slipping reality.

--Mac

P.S.:  i've got a way to solve part of my problem, though.  i can have my
dad go out and calipre the size of the tubes at the spring pads on the axle
i have.  if it's bigger than 4", then we'll know it's not an RA20.  the RA25
has 4-1/4" axle tubes, and the RA15 and RA20 both have 4" tubes.  i can have
him measure the diff housing, too.  that should be fairly definitive as
well.  maybe i can get him to pull one of the axle shafts and calipre that.
RA25 is 1-7/16" for the shaft, where the RA15 and RA20 are 1-11/32".

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/