Re: [ihc] RA-15 / RA-20

At 4:52 PM 11/2/03, Allan Ericson wrote:
>> Never seen an RA 20 on a 130/1300/1310. Only on a 140/light 1500.
>>
>> Greg
>>
>Greg-
>
>I haven't, either, but I "do" have an RA15 in a 1200C that came from the
>factory with a GVWR of 8500, and several people have told me that's not "how
>IH did it."  Well, I'm here to tell you that they did whatever the situation
>called for.  The truck is sitting in my driveway right now. I might not have
>even noticed the rear axle was different unless I went to change the brakes
>out or something, except Mac was visiting on the way to TX and we were
>playing  "check out the binders"  like a couple of adolescent kids looking
>at a playboy magazine.

BIG difference between a 1200 4x4 and a 1300 4x4  is the steel and bronze
spring bushings all around on the 1300 vs. the rubber stuff on a 1200. BTW,
the 1300 2x4's had rubber spring bushings all around. ALL 1500's , both 2x4
and 4x4, both heavy and "light" (light being the equivalent of a latter day
1400 or 140) had steel on bronze bushings.

BIG difference between a 1300 and a 1500 4x4 is the depth of the frame
rails and the rear springs and mounting for them. Front ends 1300 vs. 1500
are pretty much the same EXCEPT for the hubs, brakes and wheels and
tires--and likely the thickness of the material in the frame rails. 1300
4x4's , even pre-'69, came with 12" front brakes, the 1500's have 14".
1500's have the 5 hole wheels and hubs. The 70F front end was even an
option in the 1600 4x4's (as an FA58), although in this application it was
noticeably WIDER than the 1300/1500 ones.

>It's not too much of a stretch to think that the RA20 could be in a 1300 if
>you follow the same logic.

Well--if the five hole hubs are what distinguish an RA20 from an RA15, I
think it's pretty unlikely! Sure as heck have never seen a 1300 with 5 on 8
lug pattern !!

IH did what they did without asking the rest of
>us. The only important difference between my 1200C and a 1300C was the front
>D70 vs the D44 on my pickup. Since I've seen 1500 Loadstars with that same
>D70 front axle...well, you get the picture. I agree, it's not proof of
>anything except that I have an oddball-equipped pickup truck, but if I have
>one, then maybe somebody else has/had one as well.

Does your 1200 C have the HD 44F, like what came in the Travellettes ?? As
in the BIG closed knuckles (just like those on a 70F) and the 5/8" wall
axle housing tubes ?? Or , is it just a regular 44F ??

>One of the really funny collaries to this discussion is that the RA10 and
>RA15 are listed for the 1100 and 1200 pickup/travelalls in many of the parts
>books, and the RA20 is listed for the 1300 as well, with almost no mention
>of the RA5. I know from personal experience that nearly all 120/1200 pickups
>and travelalls had an RA10 or a Dana 60, but the books disagree with me.
>
><on a semi-related side note>
>
>There is also a listing in one of the Dana parts books for a front D60 for
>IH applications. If you find one that's original, please pull the line set
>ticket. Until then, I'll remain convinced that IH didn't use a front D60
>because IH doesn't list a part for it, but as always, I might be wrong...

That's OK, SOMEWHERE , there's a D*DGE application with a 70F with OPEN
knuckles and DISC brakes !!!

AND--because I didn't like the 12" front brakes on my 1300 4x4, I
cannibalized a set of 14x2 front brakes (still the 6 on 7.25 lug pattern)
off of a '60's vintage D*dge W400 !! AND--my truck is a '69, but I also put
an RA 15 from a '68 in it's rear, and run 17" wheels on it. Said wheels are
ABOUT to get their centers installed in a set of 8.25 x 19.5 rims (to be
cut off of some late model Ford type 550 rims) and THEN, I will be able to
run 265-.70 x 19.5, G load range, Nokia (serious) winter tread tires on it.

Greg