RE: [ihc] RA-15 / RA-20

## >> Because along with the change to eight lug hubs, they went
## >> from 17" down to
## >> 16" wheels--and the 16" wheels do NOT FIT over the 14" drums !!

that's simply incorrect.  my B122 had 16" wheels and 14" drums originally.
i don't have the axle to show you to prove that, but i do have pictures of
the old 16" wheels, and somewhere i still have one of the drums, albeit
broken.  i also have pictures of the new axle, with 16" wheels on it...  and
the drums are simply ENORMOUS, and fill the entire inside of the wheel.  the
dual wheels were hammered on over the drums, literally, but they're on
there.  i'll send you the URL to pictures of the drums and wheels if you
like.

i took about 150 pictures of my trucks before i came out here to Texas, in
case i didn't get to see them again for a long time.  i believe there are
some newer better pictures of the wheels, drums, and axle than what are on
my website.  i can send you the better ones if you like.  i may even have
some better pictures of the old axle and wheels somewhere.  whoever told you
that the 16" wheels won't fit on the RA15 with 14" drums isn't speaking
truth.  i can't speak about modern tubeless wheels and tires, as all of my
wheels are splitrims.  but those old splitrimes DO fit over the 14" drums.
on the RA15, there was an offset that pushed the wheels out away from the
drum so the wheels weren't very close to it...  but on the new axle, even
with the offset, those wheels are VERY tight on the drums.  16" wheels on
those great big drums.  the centre holes of the wheels are also extremely
tight on the centre hubs.

my 1110 TravelAll has 8-lug 16.5" wheels on 12" drums at all four corners...
the drums and backing plates of this D60FF and the HD44 are significantly
smaller than the drums on either my old RA15 or the axle that's under the B
now.  i'd be happy to send you pictures of these, too.  if you like, i'd be
happy to take a drum off the TravelAll and put a ruler or tape measure on it
and take pictures with it still in the wheel for comparative purposes, and
to prove that they're 12" drums.  i can't do that with the B, as it's so far
away and i've never been able to pry the wheels off those drums anyway.  i
don't think they were ever supposed to be on there, but apparently
*somebody* wanted those wheels on that axle.  but i can provide photographs
of the B's axle and wheels along with those from the TravelAll for
comparative purposes to anybody that would like to see.

## >> Well--I've got two of 'em with six lugs, one with eight.
## >> Bigger spindles,
## >> wheel bearings and center hole in the wheels on the six lug
## >> ones than on
## >> the eight lug.

you're not the first person to indicate those differences.  if they're
supposed to be the same weight rating, why are they so different?

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi