RE: [ihc] RA-15 / RA-20

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/

## >> I haven't, either, but I "do" have an RA15 in a 1200C that
## >> came from the
## >> factory with a GVWR of 8500, and several people have told me
## >> that's not "how
## >> IH did it."  Well, I'm here to tell you that they did
## >> whatever the situation
## >> called for.  The truck is sitting in my driveway right now. I
## >> might not have
## >> even noticed the rear axle was different unless I went to
## >> change the brakes
## >> out or something, except Mac was visiting on the way to TX and we were
## >> playing  "check out the binders"  like a couple of adolescent
## >> kids looking
## >> at a playboy magazine.

boy, that's about what i felt like, too.  all those Binders sitting there...
<drool>  which is kind of cool that you make that analogy.  when i was much
younger, those "dirty magazines" never affected me the way IH trucks did.
when other boys were hiding behind the shed with their dad's collection of
skin mags, i was at the library pawing through their collection of heavy
truck manuals.  being a farming community, the local public library had at
least one of nearly every domestic service manual ever printed from about
1930 or so to 1980 (i was there frequently photocopying pages between 1980
and 1990), and the greatest majority of them were IH and Ford, being the two
most common tractors in use out there, and IH the most common medium trucks.

## >> It's not too much of a stretch to think that the RA20 could
## >> be in a 1300 if
## >> you follow the same logic. IH did what they did without
## >> asking the rest of
## >> us. The only important difference between my 1200C and a
## >> 1300C was the front
## >> D70 vs the D44 on my pickup. Since I've seen 1500 Loadstars
## >> with that same
## >> D70 front axle...well, you get the picture. I agree, it's not proof of
## >> anything except that I have an oddball-equipped pickup truck,
## >> but if I have
## >> one, then maybe somebody else has/had one as well.

so far, every one of my IH trucks has been an oddball of one kind or
another, though granted some of them were modified later in life.  the B122
had that RA15 and a few other minor anomalies.  the 1010 has that weird
hydraulic trailer brake hookup.  the 1110 has 1210 running gear.  the 800A
has a 392.  the old 800 had a full floating D27 rear axle.  the 1500 had a
narrowbox pickup bed on it.  my D1200 had an RA15.

## >> One of the really funny collaries to this discussion is that
## >> the RA10 and
## >> RA15 are listed for the 1100 and 1200 pickup/travelalls in
## >> many of the parts
## >> books, and the RA20 is listed for the 1300 as well, with
## >> almost no mention
## >> of the RA5. I know from personal experience that nearly all
## >> 120/1200 pickups
## >> and travelalls had an RA10 or a Dana 60, but the books
## >> disagree with me.

i've seen the listings for the RA10 and RA15 like you've seen too.  i've
also seen the RA20 listed for the 1300.  i've never actually seen an RA5 or
RA10 in person, though i've seen them listed.  what's funny is that my
personal experience differs here.  i'd never seen a Dana axle in an IH truck
before i got my 1010.  my D1200 had an RA15, the B122 had an RA15, the 1500
had whatever it had that the B122 has now...  then i got the 1010, and i
never looked.  i just assumed it was the same as the others.  till somebody
called me on it and i went out and checked.  sure enough, that's a D44 in
the back.  the 1110 we have now has 1200/1210 running gear, and that's a
D60FF under the rear and an HD44 under the front (with the knuckles changed,
though i will never understand why).  12"x3" brakes all the way around,
which i have come to truly appreciate.

## >> There is also a listing in one of the Dana parts books for a
## >> front D60 for
## >> IH applications. If you find one that's original, please pull
## >> the line set
## >> ticket. Until then, I'll remain convinced that IH didn't use
## >> a front D60
## >> because IH doesn't list a part for it, but as always, I might
## >> be wrong...

i've never seen a listing for a front D60 anywhere.  i've seen some obscure
axle information, but no references to determine what the axle in question
was.  only various measurements and capacities.  i too am unconvinced that
the D60 front was ever available under an IH truck.  if anybody ever comes
up with one of these, i'd like to see the lineset too.

--Mac