[ihc] More On Pete's Tires (Moron Pete's Tires?!).

Greetings,

THANKS for all of the feedback on my recent tire / wheel inquiry. I *really*
appreciate it.  Received  several direct e-mails, explanations of offset,
wheel bolt pattern, etc.  All useful info. All filed away for reference at
the right moment.

However, I didn't get much (only 1) comment on my query about mixing tire
sizes.  I currently have 4  33" Super Swampers, TSL/SX  33 x 15.5 x 15.  I
was given 2 33" Super Swampers, TSL (not SX, I think SX designate a steel
belted tire? Radial or not, I don't know!), they are 33" x 12.5" x 15".

My plan/question:  I want to move the (better) front pair of tires to the
rear, and put the "new" 33"x12.5"x15"  on the front.  Is this a viable idea
or a poor one?!

One e-mail I received suggested that mis-matched tire sizes (front to back)
would wear the transfer case excessively. Thinking about it, this doesn't
quite make sense to me.  Can someone 'splain this?! It would seem if I'm NOT
in 4WD, there's not a problem there. And if I'm in 4WD on dry/clear
pavement, it won't be the mixed tire size (per se) that does me in! %^}

Also, I had someone at a respected tire shop in town tell me that Super
Swampers couldn't be accurately balanced because of their construction. Tone
of voice inferred they are an inferior tire.  In fact, HE asked ME if they
were Super Swampers when I asked about balancing a 33" tire!  No other tire
shop has offered this opinion.  Does he know something no one else does, or
did he just have a bad experience once?! The guy did accurately describe the
dreaded death wobble in the nearly exact MPH range I experience it... 50-65
MPH... He says "There's nothing you can do about it with those tires...".
Makes me think maybe he does know something... Anyone running balanced
Swampers? Was balancing a waste of $? The guy said he'd balance them, but
"no guarantees". Comments? I'll offer my opinion that the Super Swamper must
be a fairly soft compound.  They seem to 'wear while I watch'- welllll,
almost! Don't think those wear quite like the Yokohama's  (Super Digger 5's)
I had on a Montero once (90K miles.  Plenty of tread left, but I was more
scared of the UV cracking on the sides!).

And IF the SX's are radials, and the non-SX's are NOT, is THAT a problem?
I've always heard it's not good to mix radials and non-radials.  Does that
proverb still apply in the 33" flavors? Presuming matched sets
left-to-right, is radials in back, non-radials in front a Bad Thing?
Handling probs, etc.?

My Scout is mainly highway & city driven. Offroaded occasionally in winter
to pass (or pull) the occasional errant Lexus & Soccer Mom-mobiles that
think they're running a Hummer. Yeah I know Super Swamper is NOT the optimal
model tire for a 70-odd mile commute every day, but they're what are on
there, and coincidentally, what I was just given a pair of.  I just can't
afford the $700+ for some nice Goodyear Wranglers for the beast right now!

Any/all info appreciated.  Direct e-mail is welcome, but cc the digest so
others can benefit from your info.

Depending on the answers I get here, getting the "new" tires mounted, etc;
will be my weekend project -- or not!!

Kind Regards,

--Pete

     .===============.
   ||( )| | | | | |( )||	Binder AT pferris DOT com
   | ----------------- |	'77 Scout II, 304, a/t, p/s, etc.
  [/\_@@ ==== ==== @@_/\]	More 'stock' than 'not'!
http://www.pferris.com/Binder_Pix/Binder_Pix.php
  [/</]   \_/       [\>\]	http://www.pferris.com/scout