Re: [ihc] Re; Yes, Me Again! Carb Question

I too have been having trouble with my carb, which is a 2210 on a 75 345.  Mine
is in the idle circuit.

You should most definitely get a squirt of fuel into the barrels at the
slightest touch of the throttle.  Basically the accel pump is set up to want to
be compressed.  The throttle linkage actaully pulls the pump up.  When you
press the pedal, the linkage releases the tension on the rod to the pump lever
and lets it compress and it squirts down into the barrels.  The as the throttle
linkage travels further, the slot takes over and no accel pump is needed.  At
crusing throttle, no accel pump is needed, only at off the line.  Now, if you
can't get the engine to idle and you have the idle screw set way up to get it
to run at all, then you might already be out of the accel pumps range.  I would
turn out the idle speed adjust screw until the butterflies are just closed,
then check for accel pump squirting.  If not, then the linkage rods are wrong,
and need to be changed or bent to give a good squirt for the first 1/4 or so
throttle.  More bend in the accel linkage will give more squirt.  Now if you
have to screw in the idle speed screw say 10 turns to get it to even run, then
I suspect your idle circuit is clogged just like mine is.  Bascially once you
are to that point, the idle mixture screws make no difference, a sure sign
things are clogged.  No amount of cleaning or rebuilding has made my idle
circuits work.  There seems to be little ball bearings in the idle passageway
as far as I can tell, probably what prevents a backfire from pressurizing the
fuel bowl.

If anyone would like to recommend a cheap off the self two barrel carb for my
75 Scout I'd love to hear it.

Hope this help,

Chris
75 Scout II