Re: [ihc] Mixed Bag: Front Ends, Close Encounters and "Who Is It?"!!

----- Original Message -----
From: "DennisMillward" <dentropy@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 17:26
Subject: RE: [ihc] Mixed Bag: Front Ends, Close Encounters and "Who Is
It?"!!

> I offed mine during a chassis clean up, no difference, handles fine.
> Dennis Millward
> 63 C1200
>
> > ## >> Old IH mechanic told me it was the steering stabilizer that
> > ## >> looks like a
> > ## >> horizontal shock absorber. It was. Had that happen 3 or 4 times in
the
> > ## >> Cherokees and once in a GC.
> > ## >>
> > ## >> Consequently, I have one attached to my Terra's front end
> > ## >> whether I need it
> > ## >> or not, and I suggest that one might be in order for your Scout.
> >
> > i agree wholeheartedly.  our TravelAll and the 800A both have one of
these
> > steering stabilizers.  i have no idea just how much real difference they
> > make,
<snip>

So basically you guys think steering stabilizers are wonderful, and fix
problems even though you both admit not knowing if they make a difference
(excepting Dennis)?

I've always heard, up until this point, that a steering stabilizer at best
is not really neccessary and at worst is simply an attempt to cover up an
underlying problem.  Some people do say they help handling, but for what
it's worth I am staunchly against installing one to "fix" something.  If
there is something to be "fixed" then it implies that something is "broken"
and since there was never a steering stabilizer, adding more parts won't fix
whatever it is that is having the problem.

-Ryan