Re: [ihc] Mixed Bag: Front Ends, Close Encounters and "Who Is It?"!!

on 9/23/03 1:06 PM, Binder at Binder@domain.elided wrote:

> I though maybe I had
> a blowout or something along those lines.  I pulled over, left the truck
> running (not sure why, but I did), got out, peeked underneath it expecting
> to see Something Awful.  Nope!  NOTHING amiss.  All shocks attached, all
> wheels attached, all tires aired up, etc. I caught my breath, hopped back
> in, took off.  Not another problem since.  Don't know what happened, how it
> happened, but I sure would prefer it NEVER happen again!  Any ideas,
> theories, etc; would be greatly appreciated.  I think a visit to a front
> end/suspension/alignment type shop is coming up on the docket soon!

Pete,

The Jeep Cherokees of which we were speaking a few weeks ago would go off
like this, scaring the heck out of the driver. No apparent reason. Front end
guys could mess with the suspension to your pocketbook's detriment without
fixing the problem.

Old IH mechanic told me it was the steering stabilizer that looks like a
horizontal shock absorber. It was. Had that happen 3 or 4 times in the
Cherokees and once in a GC.

Consequently, I have one attached to my Terra's front end whether I need it
or not, and I suggest that one might be in order for your Scout.

John Hofstetter