[ihc] Mixed Bag: Front Ends, Close Encounters and "Who Is It?"!!

IH All,

Well, it's been a little while since I darkened the Digest's doorstep.  It's
time once again...  a few little snippets for your reading pleasure, "...
and I swear it's all true!".

1)  For the IH content:  Yesterday, on the way home, I was taking a
non-highway "short-cut".  A side street.  I was going along about 40-45 MPH.
This street is rather bumpy - from many patch-work fixes, and holes that
NEED to be fixed.  There's a random assortment of pot holes and patch
mounds, etc. The steering wheel was kind of bouncing left <--> right, back &
forth.  THEN SUDDENLY (and you knew this was coming), the steering wheel
suddenly started oscillating back and forth at about 30 degrees or so each
direction (left & right).  Very rapidly, very suddenly.  At first I thought
I had a *MAJOR* suspension/steering issue.  Right or wrong, I hit the brakes
and pulled over.  I was able to steer, and pull over.  I though maybe I had
a blowout or something along those lines.  I pulled over, left the truck
running (not sure why, but I did), got out, peeked underneath it expecting
to see Something Awful.  Nope!  NOTHING amiss.  All shocks attached, all
wheels attached, all tires aired up, etc. I caught my breath, hopped back
in, took off.  Not another problem since.  Don't know what happened, how it
happened, but I sure would prefer it NEVER happen again!  Any ideas,
theories, etc; would be greatly appreciated.  I think a visit to a front
end/suspension/alignment type shop is coming up on the docket soon!

2) Don't let anyone tell you Scouts are weenies (nor that they're drivers
have the monopolies on brains, despite what we like to think!).  This a.m.
on the way to work, I got popped for 80 in a 65!  $125 please. Didn't think
the ol' 304 could make that kind of speed.  Well, umm, actually, ahhh, I
knew it could.  This is NOT a thing my son needs to find out about. He's 13
and just beginning to get "the itch" to drive. I must set a better example.
Ugggghhhh.  New "enforcement" technique (for Tulsa!): Park about 3/4 up the
entrance ramp onto the highway (Broken Arrow Expressway) and troll for
speeders.  It was funny... we can ill afford the $125 right now, but such is
our life.  I called my wife to confess my sins.  She sounded as if she was
in an especially good mood.  I decided not to tell her.  She immediately
detected I had something on my mind.  She suddenly says "What did you do?!".
I said "I did 80 in a 65!".  My, how the band played! But we ended up
laughing.  She knows me tooooo well.  25 years (married 18+) will develop
uncanny perceptive powers in your mate!

3) Always leave 'em laughing:  As a matter of habit (or is it habbit?! %^}),
every morning when I go out to the Scout I pound 3-4 times on the hood...
this is a little ritual I go through every morning to scare out any
combination of 5 cats in the area that may be residing under the hood, wheel
wells, etc. This morning, something funny happened.  The house next to us
has a new neighbor.  This morning I went out, slapped the hood 4 times or so
and right as I was about to get in the door I heard a tired/faint "Who is
it?"!!!  I thought "No way!".  I got back out pounded 3 more times on the
hood.  "Who is it?" was heard again through an open bedroom window of my
(new) neighbor - about 20 feet away.  Ah well... she'll learn!  I laughed
MOST of the way to work.  Right up until I saw Tulsa's finest in my mirror!!

Have a great day!

Cheers,

--Pete

   ||( )| | | | | |( )||	Binder AT pferris DOT com
   | ----------------- |	'77 Scout II, 304, a/t, p/s, etc.
  [/\_@@ ==== ==== @@_/\]	More 'stock' than 'not'!
  [/>#################<\]	http://www.pferris.com/Binder_Pix/Binder_Pix.php
  [/</]   \_/       [\>\]	http://www.pferris.com/postnuke/html/index.php