Re: [ihc] pointless tickets

[no ih content here]

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:51:22 -0700 Joel M Brodsky <jmbrodsky@domain.elided> wrote:
> The plant protection officer (rent-a-cop) asks me what year the Tonka is?
> 1976 I reply.
> I look at the ticket upon reception of same:

> International Tonka 1976

> You have got to be kidding me.

some rent-a-cops are actually competent. some are downright frightening. we
had an ex-MP working security back in college, and he never seemed to quite
figure out that yelling at college students doesn't work the same as
yelling at privates.

the rent-a-cops at my wife's workplace (the Watervliet Arsenal, where they
make the _big_ guns) can get pretty frightening, too. it may have changed
in recent years, but there was an extended period where they wouldn't issue
guns for their bullets. it seems that one night, a technician got called
down to fix the A/C in the guardshack at the front gate.

it turns out that the guard on duty had been playing fast draw and he'd
shot the A/C full of holes. they solved the "larger problem" by taking the
bullets away.

at the peak of the first gulf war, they issued empty M16s to the
rent-a-cops and stationed an MP in each post with magazines, to be issued
by the MP if in his professional judgement circumstances so required.

richard