Re: [ihc] Mixed Bag: Front Ends, Close Encounters and "Who Is It?"!!

My 2000 TJ developed a bad case of this "death wobble" as it is known to the
jeep crowd.  I crawled under there to see what I could see, and sure enough,
my steering stabilizer (horizontal shock) was leaking all over.  I replaced
that, but it didn't solve the problem.  Next I checked power steering fluid
becuase I thought I had excess play in the wheel (not that there's a direct
correlation, but just because) - added 1/2 quart.  Still not fixed.  I
checked the tires, and yes there was cupping (fyi every goodyear wrangler
tire I've seen with > 10k miles on it has some sign of cupping) I'll never
buy goodyear wranglers again - your mileage may differ.  Next I rotated the
tires and checked the air pressure and put it back at an acceptable 33  I
believe.  Still not fixed.  But....sometime after it just went away - no
explanation, no night and day difference or magic elixir - it just hasn't
happened again.   FYI, everything I understand about the steering
stabilizer's purpose is to keep one from ripping off their fingers if a tire
hits a rut and wants to turn - shouldn't have anything to do with
straightline tracking/tire wobble.

-Jeff

> Old IH mechanic told me it was the steering stabilizer that looks like a
> horizontal shock absorber. It was. Had that happen 3 or 4 times in the
> Cherokees and once in a GC.
>
> Consequently, I have one attached to my Terra's front end whether I need
it
> or not, and I suggest that one might be in order for your Scout.
>
> John Hofstetter

---