RE: [ihc] modified "limited edition" Scouts

## >> Reading the info on the Aristocrat and SR-2 models has
## >> brought up something
## >> I've been wondering about. After reading Howard's post, I
## >> realize that the
## >> 'doll up' models are somewhat rare (2500 copies each). The
## >> question is, are
## >> they rare enough so that it would be a miscarriage of justice
## >> to build one the
## >> way I want it, rather than back to factory original?

opinions vary.  here's the most extreme case of modifications to an
Aristocrat that i've seen.  perhaps the most extreme ever.  it belongs to
Rick Wiltfong of Northwest Binders.  Pat Decker could tell you way more than
i can.  from looking today at the page on Rick's Aristocrat, he's done some
new mods since the last time i looked (cut rear fenders, for one thing), and
it gets more extreme as time goes on.  impressive machine, no matter how you
look at it.

http://www.nwbinders.net/MemberRides/RickW.html

## >> But, if this puppy is rare or even semi rare, and would be more
## >> suited to be redone
## >> bone stock by an Aristocrat aficionado, I would hate to mess
## >> it up by doing
## >> all of the non-stock stuff. I am looking for a comfortable
## >> driver- I'm not a
## >> concours restoration guy, and if the Aristocrat should go to
## >> a good home that
## >> would love it for what it is, I could live with replacing it
## >> with about any
## >> kind of nice driver 800 or Scout II. Comments and opinions
## >> are welcome, I
## >> would hate to get hit with cream pies at Nats cause I defaced
## >> a piece of IH
## >> history!

well, i'm an Aristocrat fan.  major Aristocrat fan.  we haven't been able to
find one that we can afford, but it's what we'd prefer (first time i showed
my Bride a pictore of an Aristocrat, she about fell out of her chair, and
basically demanded that eventually we get one).  mostly bone-stock, original
paint, original interior.  V8, 4-speed, working aircon.  preferably with
axles upgraded to disk-brake full-width D44 axles eventually.  i'd say keep
it as close to original as you can, as the Aristocrat is my favourite of all
Scout and Scout II models, but it's whatever you as the owner want to do
with it, and what suits your fancy.

what we've got now is a 1970 800A with 392, 4-speed, original high-back
bucket seats, no air, no top, 31" tires, (bent) rollbar, misbehaving
electrical system, and sheetmetal beat up (i rolled it, pictures available
of the roll, the subsequent "repairs", and as it sits today).  it runs great
and everything still works, in spite of the foul treatment i've given it,
and it's my usual daily driver right now (12mpg versus 7mpg in my TravelAll,
plus our current insurance company, Progressive, refuses to insure the
TravelAll under our personal auto policy with the car and Scout, so it's off
the road till i find a new carrier).  i'm thinking about, when the time
comes and we can afford to make the repairs, of having this 800A "dolled up"
into a look-alike Aristocrat inside and out, if we haven't found one by the
time i'm ready to fix this Scout.  it's going to need new paint and
upholstery anyway, so why not?  maybe redo it Aristocrat-style anyway, even
if we find a real Aristocrat.  i'm that much of a fan of the Aristocrat.  +)

check out Rick W's Aristocrat.  i don't think anybody's nailed him with a
cream pie (or anything else negative) for what he's done to his Aristocrat,
so i think you're on fairly safe ground no matter what you decide.

just my usual nickel.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde