IHC Digest-eese, J**PERS, Apostrophes, Gramma, Personal Confessions and Stuff... Off Topic

Hi John,

: I may just have to exclude Ryan from my Navel Language School, which
: should be good for a belly laugh or two.

Ok, Ill have to "contemplate" that for a while...  (anyone seen my lava
light and incense holder? %^}).

=-=-=-=-=-=

A little while ago, you commented on the parents of the J**pers and where
were there parents (or why did this allow this tradedy to become a reality,
etc.).

I know you know, John, but just to vent:  What parent really doesnt (want
to) think/believe THEIR kid is an angel? Even though the many of those
"parents" did nothing to instill such angel-like qualities in their
children. I think of some of the antics I pulled as a youth. I recall well -
at around age 22 or so driving home in my 77 Firebird at 100 mph for 15+
miles at a rip. Stricly on "auto pilot".  I knew where all the cops were.  I
knew when to slow down, and when to leter rip.  I was "polluted" beyond
belief, having been drinking for the past 5-6 hours.  The highlight of the
night was arriving home in at 1:30 a.m. or so and having a pleasant
(REALLY!) & coherent conversation with my Dad (he usually stayed up late on
weekends anyhow).  100% BS, but I guess I "passed" every time! He never
suspected a thing.  But I digress... sure if those parents had a clue (I
have to believe) they would have intervened.  Surely those kids didnt clue
in the folks and say "Hey, were goin drinkin with some other dudes and
chicks and were going to party. Well be back in a couple hours, ok?".
Still,  parents need to take the bull by the tail (!) and discuss those
"sticky" subjects.  ASSUME NOTHING. The more you do it, the easier it
becomes.  Ive already discussed, and will continue discussing alcohol with
my 13 yr old son (and daughter, when I feel its time!). Ditto drugs, sex,
morals/ethics, etc.  I hate to sound like one of those little 5 second
blurbs you see on NBC between shows with some famous star telling you to
talk to your kids about _____.  Heck, my boys 13... time will tell what
kind of job Ive really done.

The incident you relayed was sickening, true enough.  All I can do is relay
a tale my uncle told me a few years ago.  It seems my grandfather - a local
high school principal in a small Indianna town - came home one day.  It
seems that party(s) unknown to him (specifically, my two uncles!!) had shot
the beegeezuz out of his new mailbox with a pellet gun.  He came home, spied
the damage, called the two boys front & center! After a brief interrogation,
determined they were innocent. Then proceeded to go off on a rant about how
"ITS THE PARENTS of these kids that made this happen... ITS THE PARENTS
responsibility... " repeating the mantra "Its the parents..." several
times.  Thus, now, when my uncle and I talk, and occasionally discuss an
unpleasant situation in the world today, we invariably say "Its the
parents...", sigh and move on.

John, permit me to say, in front of Ryan, gawd and everybody, I *TRULY*
respect and ENVY your command of English grammar.  My mother taught 3rd
grade for 15 years or so, and History of Art (college level) for several
more years.  I swear, before she discovered e-mail (shes like 84 or so!),
shed "red pencil" (make corrections!!!!) my letters to her, and return them
for my perusal! I dont know the difference between a predicate adjective
and a past prepostitional participle twice removed.  Grammar was the only
subject I ever failed.  I suspect my punctuation would be much better if I
only had the memory and brain for it.  I WISH I could go back to "school"
and learn it all again.  I try to communicate, but I dont know how
successful I am.

IH Content: Does anyone know the specs of a grease fitting on a Scout II
Pitman arm... mine looks as if it parted company recently. I have an
assorted "metric" pack, but I dont know if the Scout uses any/much metric
stuff... probably some... how bout grease zerks?

Everyone headed to RMIHR - be careful, have fun, and SOMEONE please document
everything - JPGs, MPGs, WAVs, MP3s, etc. ;-) Im counting on Tom to
save the day here!

Youre correct, John... those ""s can really grow on you.

Cheers All,

--Pete