Preaching is easier than practicing

On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 11:36  PM, T.R.E. Jr. wrote:

---Heating the cast is the trick. Thank you for your input Jim. I would have
thought that with all the talk about welding bench vises and other things
that I would have remembered to put that in my reply earlier.
It sometimes amazes me how much easier it is to tell others how to do things right, than to do things right.

To the best of my ability, I told you guys how to weld cast iron. Good information. Yesterday, I decided to weld up a crack in a cast iron heat distribution plate in my barbecue. The plate was manufactured with a lot of holes in it, and there was a crack running from hole to hole to hole.

I told myself that with the holes and the short distances between the holes, I could get away with just welding the small spaces with no preheating. I did just that and I had a good looking weld.

As I walked away from my welding bench to go some other task, I heard pop, pop, pop, pop. As that sucker cooled, it broke every weld.

Oh well, want to know how to weld cast iron?

John Hofstetter