Re: Jaff Bade and his joints

----- Original Message -----
From: "T.R.E. Jr." <T_R_E_Jr@domain.elided>
To: "Jim or Ginger Aos" <jaos@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 22:28
Subject: Re: Jaff Bade and his joints

Ignorance may be bliss, but it doesn't let you off the hook.  Best case
they'd probobly want to know who you bought it from...

> ---I know one of the Aussies was saying that it was illegal to weld any of
> the steering components out his way, but I think that is more or less
> regional (pertaining to a certain state, city, township, etc.) just as
much
> as headers in Burbank Illinois are illegal unless you have a builder's
> permit and the vehicle is on a trailer, but you can drive through most of
> Illinois without a worry. Local ordinances, so to speak, can be a PITA.

In the US, I don't think it's so much a local thing.  I did happen upon a
part of the US code that describes welding being illegal, but the way it's
written it's hard to tell whether it means all steering components or just
the steering collumn (what it's talking about in that section).

> ---FWIW, misterfixit (Paul) on the binderbulletin is from Oz and he is
> trying to find someone to weld his pitman arm. He found himself a
> Landcruiser gear box to go on his `78 Traveler, just needs to create a
link
> between that and the Scout drag link. He is a truck driver, so it must not
> be illegal out his way, or he wouldn't even consider it.
>
> ---Thank you,
> -T.R.E.Jr.
<snip>

That, or he is desperate enough to find a way to make it work that he's
ignoring it.  We can't infer that it means one way or the other without a
statement from him on the subject...

-Ryan