Re: bump steer for TRE

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 6:06 PM
Subject: bump steer for TRE

<snip>
> TRE,
>       You've heard of a Panhard Rod on a FWD suspension correct?  It's the
> rod that locates the rear end of the FWD car in a lateral direction.  The
> trailing arms and coils restrain the other directions.  Well, it makes a
> link from one wheel (say the left side) to the body on the top right.  If
> you were to jack the suspension up to an absurdly tall height, like 18",
> then the rod would now swing down from being a gentle angle from right to
> left, to almost 40 degrees, and the axle would now try to shift over to
> one
> side.  If you understand this, then read on.  If not, this needs to make
> sense first....

---I have only seen those on vehicles with Sprung Over axles, not cradled
axles like on a Scout II.

<snip>
>       Step Two, if the axle shifts to one side, and the knuckles turn (now
> we're talking about a Scout II front end) the wheels will turn instead of
> the axle shifting from side to side.  Lift the truck up and the rod swings
> down and the axle is restrained from moving side to side, so the steering
> has to make up the slack and the knuckles will turn left or right...
>
> Any help here?

---Thanks. Already got it, just thought it was something I wasn't seeing.

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)