Re: Towing with a 1/2T Travelall?

> Binders,
> trucks on the payroll right now.  So, what are the prospects of towing my
> flatbed with a built Scout II on it (7000 lb. combined).  Granted, I have
> all the stuff already, and I supposed I could just go out and try it, but
> alas, until I have time and energy to take those risks, I'd like to hear
> from YOU, my IH family.

Here's the deal.  BTDT, glad to be here to tell you about it.

First, my '72 1110 is a far cry from your (comparatively CHERRY) '75...

One thing to do, is scale that pig.  Find a closed Weigh station and get a
good number.

My T'all?  2700lbs nose, 2840lbs rear.  GVWR?  6000lbs.

That was without passengers (or driver), and more or less a "usual"
assortment of "junk"

5540lbs.. +200lbs of me = 5740lbs.  It was low on fuel, and I wasn't
hauling my "extra" camping gear or tools.

Add another passenger and just about anything else, and I'm overweight.

My first attempt at towing was a disaster.  I all-but yard-saled it before
I even left town.  My friend Blair commented, "That was the ugliest wreck
I never saw".. amazed we didn't pile it up.

Many errors were made.

First, the worn out 1/2T springs, then the broken anti-sway bar, then the
shot shocks, plus loading the Scout backwards on the trailer (didn't fit
nose-first).

It started fishtailing and I started steering (dumb dumb)..

Anyhow.. I made some changes.  4 new shocks on the top of the list, and
loaded the Scout nose-first.

It got better.  The equalizer helped a bunch, too.

But I was constantly fighting "how much tongue weight?"

Too little, and it wiggles.  Too much, and I split a set of new rear tires
(16s even, though must've been Ds) and I was fearful of losing a rear axle
bearing.

I *always* had to "drive" when towing.  It was tolerable, but it wasn't fun.

And if I'm pushing my GVWR of 6000lbs with just me and Michelle and
minimal gear.. imagine loading up the tent, food, and then hitching
6000lbs+ of Scout and trailer to the back.

All in all, not good.

I think YOUR Travelall would do a much better job than mine, being less
worn-out, and sporting stiffer springs and a sway-bar.

>       I had pondered swapping in some Big3   3/4T axles under the Yellow
> truck, since it already has 3/4T springs in there.  I'd add airbags, and
> the the brake controller, and then the equalizer bars.  I already have the
> trans, but the IH axles are unobtanium.  Nothing is wrong with my 3/4T,

I have a '74/75 8-lug IH disc front end to get rid of...

I figured I'd swap a 44/14 or 10/14-bolt combo from a Chevy truck under my
Travelall if I were to keep using it to tow.

Cheap, easy, common, and no problems with the weight.

Instead I bought that big blue 1T Travelette.  I just point it where I
want it to go, and sit back in the Captains Chairs and relax.  NO DRIVING.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 1110 Travelall
'74 200 Travelette