Re: The way things used to be....

Once I hit the first 3000 mile oil change, I would switch to synthetic and a
top quality oil filter. I've heard Baldwin makes a good one that has twice
the capacity of a standard oil filter. I "think" that Dave Nuenke had the
part number. That makes oil filter changes more expensive, but barring flaws
in the parts that were used, the engine should last longer than you.

The part number for the extended SV filter is Baldwin BT 251, this also crosses over to a Wix/Carquest/Napa Gold filter as well. I run the long filter on the 3/4 tons, and my lifted Scout. On Roo (the stock height Scout) I stick with the stock filter becasue I'm afraid the longer one hangs down too far. Feel free to use your own judgement here. For oil I run 15-40 IH #1 or Shell Rotella. I've had very good luck with both, and feel that the higher quality oil especially makes a difference on the older higher mileage motors. Like Allan said, break in the new motor properly, treat it right and it will live for a very long time, especially with modern lubrication.