Re: Mac's Starter

Mac-

The spacer looks like the ring that holds the exhaust pipe and donut to the
exhaust manual, only thinner. It fits perfectly over the end of the starter.
It is only used on the 727, which I believe you have. The BW auto doesn't
use the spacer.

The heat shield is shaped like the letter J, made of sheet metal,  with a
mounting piece that is bolted in at one of the exhaust manifold bolts, then
suspended. Hofs mentioned two mounting brackets, if I recall correctly, but
all of mine have only one, so it seems that either there are different
styles or all mine are broken. Both scenarios seem likely to me.  The shield
goes under the starter, and the "bottom" of the "J" goes across the
terminals. The most important function is to protect it from the heat rising
from the exhaust pipe, not the manifold, as heat rises.

Coonrods is likely to have some, and possibly they are available new from
light line dealers.

I use the remote solenoid setup for another reason. When I have to pull the
starter, it's easier to disconnect the wiring to the starter at the
solenoid. Put the wires on the starter, install it, then hook them up to the
solenoid. Once you learn how to dress the wires the right way, installation
of the starter becomes less stressful. How ironic that you are far less
likely to have to do it again after that.

I have a few of these shields, but I can't find my digital camera. With the
trail ride to the canyon of the pueblos coming up next week, perhaps it's
time to get another one.

-Allan