RE: Mac's Starter

> you gonna show me how it's supposed to be mounted on
> there, so i don't screw
> it up?  a coffee can i can acquire...  but
> determining the right way to
> mount such a thing around my starter is outside my
> experience.  what do i
> do?  if possible, i hope it's something that doesn't
> require power tools or
> anything that resembles more than basic maintenance.

Mac, I just went & looked at ours. Dad said he made it
from a piece of aluminium available from a hardware
store. He said it's used for doing valleys in roofs.
Ours is just a piece that goes around the starter in a
loop and rivited together. Also has an axtra flap to
go up & cover the wores. It's attached to the starter
by a little tab bend up. This tab is bolted on by
removing one of the regular nose cone bolts, and
reinstalling it with the tab on the bolt(like a
washer.)

>  i've already been
> yelled at three times for doing the bearings and
> brakes in my own driveway,
> now i've taken the starter out, i'm waiting for the
> MPs to show up again and
> tell me i can't work on my starters in the driveway
> too.
>
> ## >> Probably cermaic coated. Very good, but it's
> not
> ## >> cheap.
>
> you're right, those headers weren't cheap.  but hey,
> when your dad is paying
> (and it's his truck, *HE* wants 'em), you don't
> complain, right?  this very
> truck is why i consistently refer to my buddy as a
> "pinhead"...  somehow he
> got the notion to swap the 3/4-ton front and rear
> suspension including
> big-pattern 14-bolt rear axle for the 12-bolt and
> 1/2-ton suspension from
> *MY* C/10 (they share the same wheelbase etc), which
> trade i am not
> objecting to in the least.  he plans to chop, drop,
> and channel that big
> ugly Suburban, and mount 20" wheels with
> super-low-profile tires.  dumbest
> thing i ever heard.  <sigh>
>
> he keeps threatening to do the same thing to my
> B122, now that i'm no longer
> there to protect it from him.  he also wants to drop
> a modern big-block 498
> in it, shorten the rear axle, tub the bed, put on
> big drag slicks, replace
> the big heavy leaf springs with soft coils...  am i
> the only one horrified
> by this thought?

If the truck's real nice, it would be a shame to cut
it up. But then again, I like custom hot rods &
trucks, and it would be cool. Just not modify it too
much, make a real sleeper out of it. I'd like to do
that to my TA, but the body's too far gone, and has
foam in it! UG!!!!!!!!!

Mark