Re: Travelette powertrain..

----- Original Message -----
From: <tsm1@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <Baradium@domain.elided>
Cc: "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 19:07
Subject: Travelette powertrain..

> > LOL!     It's different than the story I heard... of course I guess
maybe
> > wasn't paying enough attention, I'll be sure to ask next time...
>
> I now take photos when I go to the junkyard, so when I'm trying to
> remember just how nice the fender on the brown truck at Syness Salvage
> was.. I can just look at the picture.  Oh.. not as perfect as I thought it
> might be.. dang..

Yeah...   I'm going to need a new driver's quarter if I let it get much
farther at all :(   I don't know if it's too late now as it is for a patch
panel or not.  So much for it being all one color...  It's depressing...

> > How big of a brownie is it?  If it's a big enough brownie and installed
> > right, I don't see how it could be all that easy to break... if you are
>
> It's old, and while the U-joints are larger than what I have lying around
> for driveshafts, I'm still unsure of it's actual torque capacity.
> Particularly worrisome is granny gear on the T19.  I should have over
> 2500lbs-ft coming out of the T19 and going into the Brownie in granny
> gear.  And I was planning to put the Brownie *behind* the NP205, though
> not using it in 4wd, so I probably wouldn't try low range.. :D

I bet it was designed to go in a large truck though, which would be putting
out at least that amount of torque, and really using it all the time

> > really worried about it, carry a spare shaft for between just the tranny
>
> Thought was to mount the brownie behind the '205, and carry a shaft to fit
> from the '205 for the RA-15 without the Brownie..
>
> Though I guess I *could* drive some distance on the D60 front.. lock the
> '205 into 4-hi and pull the intermediate 'shaft to the brownie.

You lose a lot of options putting the brownie behind the 205, then you can't
split shifts etc with a load if you need 4x4 at the same time.    If you are
putting the brownie behind the 205, I'd carry a shaft to get from the tranny
to the brownie without the 205.  Since you can bypass the brownie with front
wheel drive, that will let you get by if the 205 is what fails.

> > But as long as you keep it unmodified, it should be fine right?  You
>
> Well, the brownie never came in a Travelette.. so it'll be "modified" from
> it's original app to begin with! :)
>
> Though the unmodified = better approach was behind my reason for using an
> IC block and RPT side motor mounts, instead of a pre-IC 392 and fabbing up
> mounts of my own..
>
> > I'd be more worried about choosing a t-case that won't fail behind all
of
> > the power you'll be capable or putting out.... and then I guess not
having

> The NP205 should be fine.  I'll be throwing a bunch at it, but plenty of
> guys throw more.  454 + 4spd + NP203 --> NP205 would hurt one a lot more.

My point is, I bet the brownie was built to go in more extreme duty
applications than that 205 was, so if the 205 will be able to handle it
perfectly fine...

> > Hey, at least you can make it to RMIHR.   Define "broken in"   Don't
these
> > motors take 30,000 miles before they are fully broken in?  :)
>
> 500 miles minimum to get my first good oil change done (not counting the
> change that comes after cam-break-in)

That's it?

> I had a friend build a 460 for his Ford truck.  With 60 miles on the
> engine he had a 25' gooseneck hooked up, two trucks on the trailer, and a
> tag-along camp trailer behind the gooseneck, and he was heading to Moab.

I guess it's better than this guy's 60 miles...

> It held together and is a good running motor to this day, but.. I don't
> have his kind of luck. :D
>
> -Tom

As long as you don't try to see how much power it'll give you right off....

-Ryan