The Solution & Another Exhausting Problem: (Was: Re: When It Rains, It's Dead!)

Hi All,

Just a quick follow-up.  Well, I'm back at work -- and I drove the Scout
here.

Here's the scoop: Once I got under the vehicle and looked up at the
starter - or where the starter should be - the problem became obvious. It
seems there was a 'protective shield' of some sort - intended to cover the
starter terminals from shorting or collecting water, grime, etc., no doubt.
Well... it gave up the ghost and fell against a terminal.  Nice weld mark on
the inside of the 'shield' where it found a terminal on the starter.  I
couldn't tell if this "shield" thing was an OEM piece of hardware or
something the PO came up with.  So, as always, my problems remain
esoteric -- never "by the book", always something odd & unusual <sigh!>!
maybe 90 seconds to "fix".

A question: If this shield was shorting and preventing the Scout from
starting, how come my battery was very "alive and well"?! Presumably it
happened before or when I parked it last night, so it'd probably been
sitting like that for hours.

BTW, I already can start my Scout in any gear I choose... so I wonder if
this means the relay's already been bypassed.  I'll check someday!

Thanks to Ryan, John and Allan (and everyone else) for their help &
guidance.  It sounds as if it would a Good Thing to do the Ford solenoid
thing. I'll move that up a few notches on the projects list.

=-=-=-=-=-=

BTW, my most pressing problem seems to be an exhaust leak that needs
attention. Exhaust is entering the cabin (and lots of it!). The problem is
most pronounced when a window is open (apparently this sets up a drawl /
draft from back to front). Opening all the windows seems to make the problem
worse than not opening the windows.  I believe problem is some 'open
air'/gap/space on the rear driver side fender is somewhat splayed out. The
'correct' fix is beyond me at the moment, but I need to cure the leak ASAP.
I'm thinking of maybe riveting/screwing some sheet metal down - to form a
patch/mold if nothing else - and fill the gap(s) with some of the insulating
foam stuff (the cheapo expanding stuff) and see if this helps.