Re: The Solution & Another Exhausting Problem: (Was: Re: When It Rains, It's Dead!)

At 3:05 PM -0500 6/12/03, Binder wrote:
A question: If this shield was shorting and preventing the Scout from
starting, how come my battery was very "alive and well"?! Presumably it
happened before or when I parked it last night, so it'd probably been
sitting like that for hours.
Pete, my guess is it was shorting the terminal on the solenoid that gets power only when starting -- the one that has the straight metal connection to into the starter housing. Normally no problem, but you turn the key and light that terminal up and it shorts out to the starter housing, connected to the block and back to the ground. That'll peg your ammeter!
For what it's worth. Certainly defer to the elder, wiser ones here! [No offense, Ryan.]
Glad you found the problem!
Best,
Joel
just replaced the starter & solenoid on my travelette last week...the good news is Napa typically has it on the shelf.

--
Joel Furtek
Assistant Coach, Virginia Women's Rowing