Brake bleeding

Michael,
Absolutely you need to bleed the brakes before you do anything else.
Start at the wheel farthest away from the master cylinder and work
toward it. I think after this is done, you'll be able to determine
what else needs to be done.

When you say slave cylinder are you meaning the master cylinder? If
so, there is no bleeding to be done there.
John H.