Re: Al Evitt's tranny difficulties

LATE BREAKING NEWS: Tom Mandera <tsm1@domain.elided> wins the 40 million dollar
lottery and says:

>Thus, I torqued to 10-ft-lbs, backed off one the 2.25 turns, and the
>other 2.75 turns.
>
>Someone correct me if I'm wrong before I pull and re-rebuild the tranny
>again tonight!

Tom,

Going from memory, this is how my IH shop manual says to do it (torque to
spec and back off a specific number of turns).  I did it this way on my
tranny using a beam type torque wrench.  However, I think you'll find that
it take a special socket (like 5/16" *square* instead of hex) to fit the
adjuster screw.  I bought such a socket at a local industrial hardware
supplier, but I'm sure McMaster-Carr sells it via mailorder, etc.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |     "Shoot him with a .44 Bulldog."
Conservative Libertarian        |
Life Member of the NRA          |   Film director Spike Lee speaking of
WA Arms Collectors              |  NRA President Charlston Heston at the
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |         Cannes Film Festival.
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |