Re: Al Evitt's tranny difficulties

Jason and Maria Colavecchia wrote:

> with no resistance, it needs adjustment. Using the proper tools, loosen the
> jam nut and turn the set screw in until you encounter resistance. The lever
> arm should now be engaging the servo in its hole, which means you should

FWIW, here's MY understanding.. correct me if I'm wrong.

IH shop manual calls for special wrench XYZ.  Tighten, then back off
2.25 and 2.75 turns (I forget which is which for the kickdown or the
front band, but I look it up before I do it!)

I don't have Wrench XYZ.. but my 72-79 Chiltons calls for 10-FOOT-lbs.

HOWEVER, on the front band adjustment, it doesn't call for a "back-off X
turns"

Thus, I torqued to 10-ft-lbs, backed off one the 2.25 turns, and the
other 2.75 turns.

Of course, I can't say "It works great for me" since it hasn't yet.. but
it worked well enough to leave black marks on the street before it died.
;-)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong before I pull and re-rebuild the tranny
again tonight!

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout