Al Evitt's tranny difficulties

I agree that you have a kickdown adjustment to do.  If you are experiencing
problems with slow engagement, I really recommend you perform a serious
tuneup though...

1/ drop the pan and drain the hydraulic fluid (or vice versa, if you have a
drain plug on the pan)

2/ Remove the old filter.  Clean out the pan, too, as usually you will find
some fine metal filings and stuff that you should get rid of while you're
at it...

3/ In you're manual, there should be complete instructions on how to adjust
the bands.  The 1st/reverse band is the "easiest" to do.  You will see it
when you pull off the old filter.  If you can move the lever up and down
with no resistance, it needs adjustment. Using the proper tools, loosen the
jam nut and turn the set screw in until you encounter resistance. The lever
arm should now be engaging the servo in its hole, which means you should
have no play anymore.  Consult your book, but I believe it requires a
certain amount of torque to be set correctly, but I set mine by hand
without any problems. Make sure to remember to lock the jam nut after you
are done!!!

4/ Next, set the Kickdown band adjustment located on the driver's side of
the transmission.  this one is harder to get at and suffers from lots of
dirt and grime making it more difficult to set correctly.  I ended up
loosening the jam nut and turning it in until it stopped moving.
tightening the jam nut again...

5/  Recheck all the jam nuts and adjustments to ensure tightness.  Check
all the screws holding the valve body together to make certain everything
is tight.  Additionally, take a close look at the kickdown lever as it
connects to the side of the transmission, as sometimes the clamp that holds
the rod in place comes loose and effectively takes the kickdown system out
of the loop.  Check the clamp and linkage for proper operation.

6/  INstall a new filter and gasket, and replace the pan.  Do not
overtorque the bolts on the transmission pan!!!! To lessen leakage, ensure
the pan flange surface is flat.  (mine was warped pretty badly, and took
alot of careful pounding to get it back to normal)

7/ fill with fluid to the correct reading and start the truck up

8/ rock the tranny through the different ranges several times, then check
the reading again.  To do this properly, you really need an extra person to
stand on the brake while the truck is in drive.  Block the wheels to ensure
safety.

9/ Once the tranny has enough fluid, take it for a spin!

10/ If it was as far out of adjustment as my tranny was, you'll be amazed
at the dramatic increase in performance.  Shifts should be QUITE noticeably
firmer.  If it is still shifting too early into drive, adjust the kickdown
linkage back so that it engages sooner.  I set mine so that if I have my
foot to the floor, it will stay in 2nd until I hit 100 kph (approx 60mph.)
I have 3.07 gears still, with 31" tires, so if you are geared lower or have
smaller tires, try to shoot for less speed (like 50-58mph.)  Since this
little tuneup I did, I have totally forgotten how awful it was before...

I hope this works for you!  I'm sure someone on the digest will remember
what the exact inch-lbs. reading you need for the band adjustments, but
this should cure any problems associated with these items!

Jason