Re: 800B w/ fold-down?

Message text written by Tom Mandera
>My friend Ben, even though his first, 74/75 Scout II isn't running and
he's cursed it many times, today bought a '71 800B that runs for his
driver.  Dana 30/44, drums, 3.73 gears, 304/T18.

*FOLD DOWN WINDSHIELD*

He seems to think none of the previous owners did anything to it.. but
there it is, a fold-down windshield.  Previous owner said he had the
'glass down last summer, and there are knobs on the inside of the
windshield for unlatching or unsecuring the windshield n' frame.

I thought the fold-down was only available on the Scout 80?

Hmmm..

There also appears to be a rag-joint, high (near the firewall) in the
steering column.. should this be?<

Tom,

  This is something I've wondered about.  Variously, I been told folding
windshields were available as an option on 800's, although very few were
ordered that way.  Elsewhere, I've been told, no, they never were
available.  Long time IH dealer, Bryant Motors, told me folding windshields
weren't a feature that 80 owners liked.

  Converting mine to fold down is something I've considered.  From what I
see, this doesn't look like an easy conversion.  I don't see anywhere
around the cowling where there's a "natural" parting line.

  As to the upper rag joint, yes, this is stock.  This feature makes power
steering conversion real easy.   The older solid columns, with rag joint at
bottom, aren't "aimed" correctly after you install the larger ps box.  With
the upper rag joint type, just add a couple of steering u-joints to
"re-aim" column to align with the new box.   Incidently, anyone parting out
the later 800's should save that column, it'll interchange with the earlier
800's (and possible 80's) making ps conversion a snap.

Doug